Sunday, October 02, 2005

A mission well-executed……..

Many people dread the idea of going back reservists, saying that it is a waste of time, waste of energy and would rather spend the time on their studies and career….blah blah. I used to have this sort of mentality when I started my first reservists as well. After a few ICTs, I realized the following:

1) It is a great way to catch up with old army buddies.
2) You can meet with many new people in one setting and network.
3) Free food and lodging – save a lot of money……
4) A good wake-up call to see how unfit you really are!!

This year’s ICT programme (2005) was packed back to back with route marches, live firing, NAVEX plus field exercises with full mission profiles. Thankfully, I had a really great bunch of people to work with who always took the initiative do stuff and ensured everything went smoothly. Thank you guys!!

The final mission exercise was quite interesting – a live heli-borne insert to capture the objective. This also means a longer route to walk!!! Freaking hell!! The chopper was a CH-47 Chinook. I have sat on a UH-1H and Super Puma couple of times before but not a Chinook. This chopper was definitely way bigger but it was also much more noisier!! The airmen weren’t kidding when they suggested bringing along earplugs!!



The movement to objective for my team was very smooth. All thanks to my pointmen, JH & Ah Xiang!! Damn confident in walking in the jungle in darkness. They weren’t the CRT for my ex company for nothing! As a result, my team ended up reaching the objective first even though we were the 5th wave out of 7 to set off!!! Freaking amazing come to think of it! The rest of my team were great as well, no complaints during the long jungle walk even though some of them weren’t as fit as before and had to carry MG and all. I guess life will be easier if everyone chips in and do their part.

Back in camp, the warrant officers are a bunch of freaking funny people. They seem to know how to crack all the lame and dirty jokes, all the places where you can find the “La Sup” entertainment, all the intricate details of how to “chow keng” and “wayang (not referring to you Kelvin!)” but yet when it comes to work, they are dead serious.

With all these different bunch of people, I’m pretty sure the next ICT, which supposedly will be one of the most “siong” ones, will not be a problem. Now time to book my IPPT……..


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home